So here I am on a Friday night - day 4 of my sober January (I didn't start until Jan 2nd in case you were wondering...).
I have now been to two things where I have had to make the conscious decision not to drink. Ricky Gervais last night and ice skating/meal tonight. I found it really hard last night - it was a Thursday evening, it was comedy and he was over by 9pm - plenty of time for a drink on the way home! Tonight was a bit easier, but it was still odd to sit round a table and be the only one not drinking!
It has got me thinking about how much of drinking is just habit tho, and how much is because I actually want one. This isn't a New Years Resolution as such - I just want to see if I can be disciplined enough to not drink for a month. It helps that Julia is also doing it - I don't want to have to go and tell her that I've had a drink!
But Feb 2nd does seem a long way away - in some ways I think the idea of not being able to have a drink is worse than actually not having one. It kills me knowing I 'can't' have a drink, even if I don't really feel like one.
I doubt this will be the last post on the subject!
2 comments:
I got a neat book on healthy living "You: The Owners Manual" for Xmas. It's a great read and gives lots of good advice. The best one is that I MUST drink 2 glasses of wine or one beer a night. I hope your resolution is not harmful to your health! Good luck and keep us posted.
I have been there and done that - what I have done when I have had a drink, is add an extra day onto the end (last may my 4 weeks off took 5 weeks !
It is worth it.
Kia kaha Eryn
Post a Comment