But - the weather is starting to get colder, leaves are starting to fall - and the problems have started. I've adopted the British fixation on transport so I thought I'd share this morning's trip with you...
8.17: Get to station. Little bit late for me, but I was in time for the fast 8.19 to Waterloo so no problems. Still easily be in work by 9.
8.19: Train pulls in. Can't get on due to train being full. Little bit unusual but I'm not too bothered as the next train is another fast service at 8.25.
8.19: 8.19 pulls out. Then I realise that the 8.25 is not due until 8.31 and there are in fact, problems...
8.20: Apparently there are signal problems around Waterloo. Services are delayed and cancelled. Regret not getting on 8.19...
8.31:
- Late running 8.25 pulls in. Get on easily enough (I know where to stand to be by the doors - a true commuter I am!), but don't get a seat. Train fills up, not everyone gets in. Train is also stinking hot as the heating seems to be on full bore.
- Feeling very hot. Train runs fairly fast for about 5-10 minutes. Read my book, wishing I had a seat.
- Train guard apologises for the delay. Tells us that the original problem was caused by signal failure at Vauxhall, but this has now been compounded by faults on the line. Doesn't elaborate on said faults.
- Also apologises for the heat in the train, but apparently the driver cannot turn the heating off until we get to Waterloo. (!)
- Train stops. We go nowhere for a while. I desperately try to avoid thinking about the fact that I am very hot, the carriage is very crowded and I couldn't get off even if I wanted to. Since my MRI back in Wellington I've had problems with claustrophobia and it doesn't take me long to get panicky on a full train.
- Train starts to move. Stops again, this time under a bridge so I can't see daylight. Focus on the glimpse of daylight I can see and tell myself not to be stupid. There are no tunnels on my line. Resolutely quell rising panic and concentrate on my book.
- Guard announces that we will be stopping at Clapham Junction as a 'young lady' has been taken ill in the last carriage.
- Train gets to Clapham. Guard opens doors so he can get to the 'young lady'. He can't walk through the train as it is too full....
- Halleulujah! Man in seat next to me decides to get off train to find another route to London - always a mistake as it invariably takes longer. But I get a seat.
- Collapse on seat and give up on pretence of reading. Panic recedes slightly.
9.17: Train pulls into Waterloo (a normal fast service from Surbiton to Waterloo is around 20 mins during rush-hour...).
9.18: Make my way to Waterloo East where trains are also delayed, but one pulls in as I get to the platform.
9.45: Get to work.
3 comments:
Dearest sister, you think you have problems!! Sometimes in our small, colonial outpost I occasionally find someone has the temerity to park in MY usual carpark. Leaves me quite distraught!! Our weather isnt much better - lots of rain and wind, but the days are longer and it is warming up. Love & hugs, Leigh
Bet it doesn't beat the morning rush in Taupo!
Maate, 7.45 leave home, 8.15 arrive at work - Day after day its like this!
Tarcey, is that the "Rush 2 minutes" in Taupo on Tamamutu st ?
Post a Comment