Sunday, October 02, 2005

Here be dragons...

In the Rough Guide to Sicily it says about Stromboli that it is a volcano that deserves to have a sign stuck in the top saying 'Here be dragons' and they were not wrong...

We had a fab holiday - more of which later. But this post is just to let you know that I've uploaded a few photos on to Flickr from the hols, including some of our night climb of Stromboli. I will write more about it later, but I can honestly say that I have never been so scared by Mother Nature in my life. It was an incredibly humbling and awesome experience to watch and hear the lava eruptions from a very active volcano... We were up there for an hour, and all I could think was "I don't want to die. Please can we go now!". I will describe it in more detail - it deserves a lot more, but check out the photos below, and the others on Flickr. I'll be adding to these as well - Kevin took loads so until my films get developed I'll plunder his!

Quick timetable: Spent a few days in Palermo which we didn't like. Noisy, crowded and just generally not so fab. Did a lovely day trip to Cefalu however - looked like a great spot for an off season summer holiday, and Agrigento - very cool Greek ruins. Then we took the ferry to Salina, one of the Aeolian islands. Spent 4 days there chilling out, doing day trips to Stromboli and Vulcano (which named all the other volcanoes!), then went to Stromboli for 2 nights - including the infamous climb, then to Naples for 3 nights - including a day trip to Pompeii - of which more in a later post.

It was a great two weeks tho - sadly back to reality in London now :-(

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a grand holiday, I'm so pleased you weren't carted away by a mafia boss to be his moll or swallowed by a volcano!

Anonymous said...

Stromboli always sounds like a dessert to me....