Thursday, October 20, 2005

Thursday's trials

Hmm - shall I tell you about my trip in this morning and turn into a real travel bore? I think not - otherwise I might feel compelled to report on my trips in every day which could get very tedious (both for me and you!). Suffice to say that there were delays (again...) and despite being on an earlier train than I was yesterday I still didn't get in until 9.15. As opposed to going home last night when I got the 18.02 from Waterloo and was in Surbiton by 18.20...

I did get a seat though and the train wasn't crowded so it wasn't quite as bad as the woes of Wednesday... Am currently reading Attention All Shipping - A Journey Round the Shipping Forecast by Charlie Connelly and can thoroughly recommend it. It is very funny - so subsequently I look like an idiot as I sit there and smile (and occasionally laugh out loud) to myself on the train... I'm not sure he's inspired me to visit many of the places that I've read about but it is a good read.

It reminds me of A Land of Two Halves by Joe Bennett which I read not long after I got back to the UK. Also very funny - and very good I thought. Best thing I've read for ages that even begins to capture who New Zealanders are - as well as capturing our foibles very well! If you aren't familiar with it, it is about an Englishman who has lived in NZ for 15 years, and to try and work out if he wants to stay he decides to hitchhike around the country. I read about it in a North & South book review I think.

No comments: