Saturday, August 25, 2007

First stop - Gracelands!

Saturday started off with a stroll down to the Memphis Rock'N'Soul Museum to get their free shuttle out to Gracelands...

Which actually wasn't as over-the-top as I was expecting. Given the excesses of the life styles of the rich and famous today, the house and the decor on the whole seemed pretty low key. I did like the Jungle Room tho - its not everyone who has green shagpile carpet on their ceiling!! Plus the gold seatbelts in the Lisa Marie were a nice touch as well...

Most fascinating was the floral tributes to The King - I was there a week after 'Elvis Week' so there were still loads from all over the world. Just amazing to see them all. It was relatively quiet there tho - I did hear stories of people queuing for 48 hours the previous week to ensure they could walk past the grave on the actual anniversary of his death...

There was also some fantastic tat in the gift shops as well!! I managed to restrain myself (just...). I was really tempted my a t-shirt that read 'Elvis has left the building' but they didn't have any nice girly ones...

No comments: