Sunday was a much slower day than Saturday - Memphis doesn't really get going early on a Sunday! I wandered around for a while but it was sooooo hot I just went and found airconditioned places that I could cool down in!
I had my second breakfast at the Arcade Restaurant - very hobbit like but it was worth it! A quintessential American cafe - where the waitress called me honey and walked around with a coffee pot topping everyone up - brilliant!
Then it was off to the National Civil Rights Museum, housed in what was the Lorraine Motel where Martin Luthor King was assassinated. Very very good - but very very dense. There was just so much to read I couldn't take it all in. I was in there at 1.45 and had to be down at the ferry by 5pm and I didn't get through it all. And then to find out at the end that the 'second half' of the museum was over the road! I just couldn't take any more in at that point - I'll have to go back another time and finish it :-).
Very moving though to be where MLK was killed, and to realise just how Memphis was really in the middle of the civil rights movement. And to have reinforced yet again just how the music was so intertwined in it all as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment