After exhausting myself doing the touristy thing all day I took myself out for dinner on Saturday night down to Beale Street. Beale Street was just fantastic - I felt quite sorry for myself in that I wasn't with anyone, as you could have a great time out there. The street is pedestrianised, with loads of the bars and clubs selling beer out on the street. There are various stages set up down alleys and in parks where people play for free, plus of course there are all of the bars which also have live music.
After dinner I just wandered around for a while listening to a band playing on a stage at the WC Handy Park. I was quite worried about going into a bar by myself, but as I was steeling myself to do that I walked past an alleyway with a stage at the end of it that had a great blues band playing there. So I got myself a beer from a street seller, parked myself on a picnic bench and listened to some great music for the next couple of hours! It just got better after they were joined by their female vocalist as well - lots of 'My man done me wrong' type of blues. Fantastic!!
And of course I was bought a beer by a random guy because I was from NZ and the 60 year old blues guitarist from the band hit on me... Great night!
No comments:
Post a Comment