Saturday, November 04, 2006

Animals, athletes and fireworks...

Continuing on my world tour of NZ, I headed down to Whakatane (closest airport to Opotiki) to spend time with Leigh and the Abraham whanau. But prior to that we had some time to kill so Eryn, Alex and I went to the Auckland Zoo. Which was pretty good - I saw some very active Kiwis and some tuatara and on the whole it looked alright. The saddest bit was the Meerkats who were really obviously trying to get out of their (rather tatty) pen. That made me feel a bit yuk.

Then it was down to Opotiki where I arrived in time for the prize giving for the mountain bike race that Leigh and Maurie had just completed. 45kms for Leigh, more for Maurie (but I'm not sure what) and as everyone got a spot prize everyone seemed to come away happy!

Bar-b-q and fireworks in the evening - some quite spectacular ones, but I'm sure they lasted longer when I was a kid!! Highlight was possibly Lucy and I lighting incense sticks and wondering why they weren't sparkling...

No comments: