Monday, May 15, 2006

My 'My Life is Earl' week...

Of course that title will be meaningless if you haven't seen My Life is Earl...

On Tuesday last week I went to a quiz with friends from work being run by one of our vendors. It is an annual event, and we are always keen to try and beat PwC - regaining the cup EY won in the inaugural quiz (however I can't claim to be part of that winning team - although I did help them celebrate after the fact!).

So my guard was down a bit, and before the event even started I had sat down at a table next to the one we were going to be at. I was less than 4 feet away from my bag but someone still managed to steal it - an outsider, not one of our competitors I hasten to add. I even saw it happen, but deep in conversation it didn't register what it was I was seeing until I went to grab my bag about 20mins later and realised it had gone.

So after 10 years in London I finally fell victim to an incredibly common crime. I would never have left my bag like that had I been in a pub on a usual evening, but as it was a private party I felt more relaxed. A very hard and expensive lesson to learn - my life was in that bag...

Two days later I got a call from my Doctors surgery to say that my bag had been found in another pub. There had been a slip of paper from the doctors in the bag which had enabled them to trace it back to me. So I got my lovely Radley bag back, all of my keyrings (which I was most upset about losing - including one I'd got from my aunt and uncle in 1996 when Eryn and I visited Northern Ireland), my wee little Radley coin purse that Lindsey had given me for xmas, and the chicklit book I'd borrowed that day from a friend. EVERYTHING else of note was gone tho - including my hair brush which I find rather disturbing... I couldn't help laughing that the chicklit didn't make the cut tho!!

But it came back to me - and in the karmic world I know I'm being repaid for something nice I did in the past :-).

Off to Crete tomorrow for a week - can't wait! Check back after the 24th May!

No comments: