Thursday, May 18, 2006

Crete - Day 3 Elafonisi and shrine

Thursday we headed off to Elafonisi, - near the southeast tip of Crete and 76km from Hania. It was what seems to be a typical Crete road - up and down hills, windy, with steep drops over the sides down into whatever gorge you are driving past at the time...

On the way there we stopped at a shrine in a cave (will update this later as I have the name of it written down but don't have it with me!). On the way up the steps to the cave we passed the Dragon's Wort plant - very striking looking, but boy does it smell! I seriously thought something had died in the bushes until it was pointed out that it was the plant... We came across this a lot in the Samaria Gorge as well. The cave was pretty cool - although having watched The Descent recently I didn't want to get too far into it!

Elafonisi was absolutely beautiful - I've never swum in sea that was so crystal clear. Mind you it was bit colder than it was at Stalos Beach, but it was absolutely gorgeous. It was really windy when we arrived which wasn't so nice, but we walked over to the island and found a sheltered nook there which was fine. Kevin and I went for a walk along the beach, finding the obligatory naked sunbathers at the end of the beach! The colour of the water was just stunning - I could have stayed there a lot longer.

No comments: