Didn't do anything of note on Sunday - we had a very lazy day lying around the pool reading and swimming - bliss :-).
On Monday it was an early start as we headed off up to walk the Samaria Gorge. The Gorge is 13km long, with an extra 3km at the end down to the village where you can get the boat from.
And it was hard work.
We didn't walk much with Kath and Janice (Paul and Marilyn weren't walking it), as we had a faster pace than them, but it was really quite tough. Downhill on rocks for what felt like forever - we kept thinking we had got to the bottom only to realise that we hadn't as we headed off down again.
But it was absolutely fantastic. The views were just stunning and the geography was amazing. I'm not sure my photos really do it justice, but do check them out on Flickr! We had taken our walking boots and I'm really pleased we had. Some people were just doing it in sandals which struck me as being particularly crazy, but they did all do it. They have donkeys in the Gorge to ferry out people who can't complete it - and apparently a heli-pad but we didn't see that.
We did have to keep remembering to stop and admire the view - it was very easy to just focus completely on where your next foot was going and not look up at all.
We started walking at 8.30 and finished the Gorge at 2pm, got to the village at 2.30 and got the 3.45 ferry back to Sfakia. Kath and Janice got the later ferry, so Kevin and I didn't wait but jumped on a bus from Sfakia to Hania.
I was also really interested in Sfakia as that is where the soldiers were evacuated from after the Battle, so I was somewhere where I really knew my Dad had been. It felt quite strange. The road up out of Sfakia was incredible - I've taken loads of photos for my family of the terrain, but check out this one of the road - very very steep and very very windy! I was glad I was on a full sized bus - although it is also the first time that I've put my seatbelt on in a bus!
No comments:
Post a Comment