Went to see Billy Bragg on the 'Hope Not Hate' tour. It is local elections over here and the British National Party are fronting candidates in a few key locations where it is highly likely they'll get more seats.
He was great. The music was good - lots of old songs, some reworked for the current climate, and some new ones as well.
Crowd was a bit less great. Felt very White Liberal Middle Class. We had gone to listen to the music, not to support the cause (not that I disagree with the cause in any way, shape or form though!), but the crowd were little muppets, whooping every time he mentioned Tony Blair, George Bush, the Union, Racism, Fascism etc. All very formulaic responses from them. And as the woman behind me was belting out 'There's power in the Union' with her fist raised in the air I couldn't help but wonder if she had the same response when the RMT strike over here and the public transport in London grinds to a complete halt. Somehow I suspect not...
No comments:
Post a Comment