Saturday, May 20, 2006

Crete - Day 4 Shopping in Hania and Suda Bay

On Saturday Kev and I went into Hania to check out the 'Old Town'. This was absolutely lovely - winding wee backstreets with some really lovely shops. We bought a sand painting, a metal platter (for nibbles when we entertain!), and after finding 'Leather Alley', 3 wallets each, and a bag each... Well it was so cheap - and I needed a new wallet after having mine stolen the week before...

In the evening we went to the final part for us of the Battle of Crete Commemorations - the wreath laying ceremony at Suda Bay. Suda Bay is where the Allied Cemetery is - sited on the bay where the soldiers landed originally. It is beautifully maintained, and is on a stunning site. The rows and rows of white crosses make a very powerful statement. I was shocked at the number of graves which didn't have names - 'Known only to God'. It was very very sad, and very moving.

I can't begin to imagine what it was like for the veterans to return back to Crete. It would be such a different place now than it was then, but the memories and emotions must have been almost overwhelming. When one old Australian soldier was asked when was the last time he was in Crete he replied "65 years ago".

No comments: