- The Front Lawn - Maidment Theatre, Auckland University. Brilliant show - the key bits I remember are the 'car' driving around the stage (him and Harry Sinclair running around the stage with torches as headlights) and the camping 'photos' - the stage lights going off and on, and everytime they were in a new snapshot. Also the theatre a bit later on down by the wharf somewhere.
- Wellington - I'd just moved to go to library school and I went to see The Muttonbirds with Eryn, Keith (I think), and a cousin of Keith's (I think). He was a journalist and very cute. I later bumped into him in a flat in London and he turned out to be a friend of Anita's. Very nice guy. But at that gig I remember almost crying when they played Dominion Road (given that I lived just off Dominion Road and had just left), and they had such few songs that they had to repeat it for their encore.
- London - The 100 Club. Very surreal - I'd not been in London that long and it was just so weird to see something so NZ in such a different setting. I think that may have been with Fone & Pete, (and Kevin's first time maybe).
- London - The Astoria - bit more established by then. Bigger venue, bigger crowd. Wall to wall kiwi boys, all wearing checked shirts with their collars turned up. Bit much for me that one.
- London - Shepherd's Bush - me realising Alan Gregg must have left the band :-(. Don singing 'Come Around' and dedicating it to Alan (think they'd had a falling out...).
Monday, January 26, 2009
My life and Don
After seeing Don McGlashan it made me think about all the times I have seen him at the different periods in my life - here are some I remember...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Jeez you've got a good memory!! All i can remember is that i must have seen The Front Lawn while I was a student, and I was probably obliviously next to you in the crowd at either or both of the last two London Muttonbirds gigs. Shepherd's Bush was the site of the infamous 'Raewyn' incident which is too long to relate here!
Yea funny the way artists can stay with us over time.. first time of many for me was From Scratch and Blams, awesome memory of MBirds was at Big Day Out main stage, starting with The Heater, lead guiter walking straight out on stage, guitar maxed out going 'Bang Bang Bang' like a machinegun.. put envy of angels on my MP4 last week
Shepherds Bush was the wall to wall Kiwi boys gig - the most lumber jack shirts with rolled up sleeves and goatee beards ever gathered in one place ;-) Astoria 2 was where Don dedicated the song to Alan. I remember first being introduced to the Muttonbirds at a house party in Kilburn - people suddenly dancing madly around a kitchen to the strains of Wellington.
The heater - nows theres a good song
EJ
Post a Comment