Saturday, September 20, 2008

Dinner - and Nellie's

Saturday night we went out for a lovely meal with Julia's parents. Julia has often talked about the lovely pub meals she has when she goes home, and this one was fantastic. I haven't eaten that much in ages - starter, main, dessert and coffee!

Towards the end of the evening conversation turned towards what we would do on Sunday and then about how we would fit in a visit to Nellie's - a pub that is an institution in Beverley (which is where Julia grew up - about 10 miles or so down the road). So off we go to Nellie's that night.

I was knackered, full and really didn't feel like another drink, but I could hardly refuse. And I can honestly say it is one of the best pubs I've ever been in - Maurie you would love it! It is gas lit (yes really!), and is made up of several different rooms which are still furnished with pieces of furniture from when the original owners (a couple of elderly women - one of whom was called Nellie) ran it. It was not like any other pub I've been in - it wasn't 'styled' as a house - it literally was one that had been converted. Julia had tales of doing her under-age drinking there, her dad Joe now drinks there after his badminton games, and he knows people who did their underage drinking there as well. Absolutely brilliant - and it was great to see it at night in all its dark, gas lit murkiness!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Put the pub on the list for next visit.