So I've started to read On The Run by Sean Damer and Ian Frazer - the story of Anzac escape and evasion in Crete.
I'm only a couple of chapters in, but it is fantastic. I guess it is more interesting because of Dad, and because I've been to Crete, but it is a really good book. I recommend everyone to read it.
Some of the stuff is mind boggling - reading about guys who walked up the Samaria Gorge, and did it when they were in a terrible physical condition, and the whole march over to Sfakia to be evacuated. Incredible. My favourite story (which I'd read before) is about the Kiwi soldier who was picked up by other escapees who were in a boat - he was paddling naked on a plank of wood... You can only imagine what would have happened to him had he not been picked up!
1 comment:
Yes it's a good book Megan. I read it for the first time just before this year's Crete trip. I've read most of the recent writings on the BOC, & I always find something new. While I was away I heard first hand about the awful conditions experienced by a young Cretan woman, as she was giving birth in a cave above Imbros. Just realised you know Lulu from Marko's taverna in Stalos. She read some of her husband's (Marko)grandmother's diary to me. We often forget the trauma that the Cretans suffered in that conflict. P.S. Your flowers to Leigh came via our place. We tried to nab them, but no luck. They're fab.
Post a Comment