Saturday, August 12, 2006

Walking around the meres - and a real bull!

Kevin and I headed off on a 6.5 mile walk around the Meres on Saturday afternoon which was really lovely - check out the photos below as proof (but there are more on Flickr as well so check those out too!). The Meres and Mosses are a series of water- or peat-filled hollows in the glacial drift which covers the Shropshire-Cheshire Plain.

The first part of the walk was along the Shropshire Union Canal which was pretty cool. Lots of canal boats going up and down - it is a very popular holiday where you can hire the boats and cruise up and down the canals. Although I remember my friend Raewyn saying it is a lot harder work than it looks when you get to the locks...

So after the canal path it got a bit more tricky. One wrong turn (NOT our fault!) probably added on an extra mile to the walk but we did eventually get back on track again. Then it was over some farm land - and the colours were just stunning. The deep gold of the hay contrasting with the green of the trees. Beautiful. Slightly scary walking through a field of very stary cows - then I noticed one that I thought looked a bit different. Said to Kevin 'That's not a bull is it?' who assured me it wasn't - for about 3 minutes before saying 'Actually that is a bull' - we sped up slightly but it seemed to be completely uninterested in us luckily.

Then it was a walk around Ellesmere which is the largest of the meres (I think) back to the car. A very good afternoons walking - although it did mean I went to bed again at about 10am absolutely exhausted!

No comments: