Saturday, August 19, 2006

V Festival 2006

So off we headed to V Festival 2006 - well for Saturday anyhow. Had been a bit worried as the forecast was a bit dodgy and I'm a bit of a fair weather festival go-er - eg I don't fancy standing in the rain listening to music! But fortunately the gods smiled on us and we didn't get any rain :-). But there had been some rain and bits of it were verrrryyy muddy - and gumboots are the footwear de riguer (sp?) for the hardened festival goer! Saw some very cool, very funky gumboots! Kevin and I went for the walking gear option - figuring our walking shoes would be waterproof and our walking trou would dry quickly if it was wet. So not the most stylish couple there I don't think!

We didn't get there until about 3 by the time we'd queued for the buses to the site but we didn't miss anyone we were really keen to see. We wandered into the Virgin tent and saw The Upper Room who we hadn't planned to see, but they were really good. I've already been out today and bought their cd! Then it was back to the mainstage for The Magic Numbers - well Kevin saw them. I went and found the beer tent. I decided that I would live with the queues for the loos and have a drink... So I missed most of The Magic Numbers but Kevin assures me they were good! Next up were Bloc Party - always a firm fave with us and they didn't disappoint. Then it was Keane - who I liked, but I think Kev was a bit unsure. It doesn't help that the lead singer looks incredibly like a guy off Soccer AM which is a timewasting Saturday morning football show that gets a bit addictive!

After Keane I headed off to queue for half an hour to go to the loo... sigh. Then it was off to the Virgin tent again where we caught the end of Regina Spektor who was fab. I also went out and bought her cd today! Then we watched My Morning Jacket who were just amazing. Not at all what I was expecting - 70s guitar rock maybe? Kevin can correct that in a comment if it is wrong! But my brother Adrian would have loved them!! The only thing they said was 'Thank you' at the end - phenomenal.

To be honest after that Radiohead were a bit of an anti-climax. Not a huge Radiohead fan anyhow, but felt we should watch them (after all - it was Radiohead!). But we left early to make our trip home a bit easier, and upon reflection would probably rather have gone and watched Kasabian who were headlining the other main stage. Probably a sacriligious statement for many of my readers but never mind!

So we went home feeling very tired, but very pleased with our day!

(check out Mhairi's blog for a similar but different analysis of her day - she is more of a Radiohead fan than me I think!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes would have to agree. One of the best sets seen in a long time. Kind of a 70's heads down 100% pure Rock 'N' Roll. Truely awesome, last time I'd seen guitarists like that was 10 years ago at a Sonic Youth gig. This was tighter than that though. Have tickets for full gig at London's best venue or walking in Wales!! Tough call. Kevin