Friday, July 14, 2006

Trailwalker 2006

Had a fab day volunteering at Trailwalker 2006. Julia and I took the day off (EY gives us volunteering days to take), and we headed off down to help out. We got to the site around 3pm and were talked through the choices we had - we could either help out in the check-in tent or work in the merchandising tent. I was amazed at how many volunteers there were - a grand total of 6! Apparently they had more lined up for the Saturday but they do struggle getting people to help out.

We were responsible for selling the caps, mugs and keyrings they had on sale - the first time they've done merchandising thanks to a new sponsorship from State Street. We also sold the bar-b-q and breakfast vouchers to walkers who hadn't raised enough to get them in their pack, or for support crews etc.

This year there were over 100 teams more than did it last year so we were kept pretty busy. Plus there were two bad accidents on the A3 and M25 which meant that people couldn't get down before 10pm so our shift didn't end until midnight! A long day on our feet, but we were right in the thick of it, and got to see lots of the lovely Ghurka soldiers! Everyone was really friendly and hyped up with the thought of what they were about to face the next day.

It was also really interesting just to see the sheer scale of the organising, and what Oxfam had to do with a limited number of helpers. I felt really happy and proud to be involved in part of it again - there are some photos which I'll post once I've got them off my pc.

No comments: