Sunday, April 23, 2006

Marathon clappers

Got up unforgivably early this morning - had to set the alarm for 7.15 which is just unnatural on a Sunday morning in my book! But it was the London Marathon and we were off to Craig's house to watch. He lives about 2 mins away from the 6 mile mark so it was a good base to watch the runners from.

At 6 miles they didn't need a lot of encouragement but we had a good time clapping and cheering people on! I decided to focus on those runners who had the same names as family members - which was a wise choice as there wasn't that many people to cheer for. Alex was a particuarly popular name so I gave up on that after a while. A few Adrian's and Tracey's but that was about it. I felt guilty whenever I wasn't clapping but it just wasn't possible to continuously clap - the hands got too sore!

Saw some great costumes as well - quite a few Elvis', Wonder Woman and Batman. Also a Wookie which I thought was great - must have been a bit hot though!

I was also keeping my eye out for any NZers - one guy went past who had 'G'day mate' on his shirt so I called out 'Go NZ'. It was only afterwards that I realised he could have been Australian! Oh well - never mind. Saw another NZer who I cheered on but as they were walking by the 6 mile mark I'm not sure they would have completed it!

Busy week for me - off to Sweden tomorrow for a night (for work - so airplane, office, hotel, office, airplane, home) and then we are off to Dingle on Friday to go walking. Yay!

No comments: