Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Abu Simbel

This was a crazy early start - we had to get up at 2.30 for a 3am departure to meet the armed convoy to leave at 4.15am... I could have flown for £70 but I decided to save the money and just got the coach. Once we were up it wasn't too bad...

Abu Simbel was absolutely amazing. Everyone I know who had been to Egypt had said it was a must see, and that is true. I wasn't disappointed - the first sight of them is incredible. Part of Ramses II's legacy, they were fascinating. His wives included below his knees, the fact that they were built so that the sun highlights the figures inside on two days each year (very Indiana Jones!), and the detail inside just all added to how magical they were. Then when you consider that they were moved when the Aswan Dam was built so they weren't submerged is also staggering. If you look carefully inside you can see the seams where they rebuilt it, but otherwise you would have no idea that it wasn't in its original spot.

No comments: