I have wanted to go to Hatfield House for years... And have made a few attempts in the past, each time foiled for differing reasons. Tried with Tracey - but we were too early and its season hadn't started yet, tried with Leigh & Maurie but it was shut on the day we wanted to go, tried with Nicola but its season had finished...
However, I was finally successful! Although the trip appeared to be in jeopardy yet again, when my temporary bridge came out on Saturday morning - at that point I truly did believe I was fated not to go... (I'm mid-way through dental work...). However I managed to wedge my tooth back in, and with fingers crossed I headed off to meet Nicola and Mhairi...
It was a lovely day. A stunning house (as you'll see from the photos - check out the rest on Flickr as well), and the grounds were just gorgeous. Interesting to compare it to Blenheim Palace (as the Duke of Marlborough was apparently great friends with the first Marquess of Salisbury as well) - they both have quite stunning grounds, and the houses were of course fab. No photos allowed in side the house, but it was quite amazing. Highlights of the house for me were the Marble Hall and the Library. I can't help it, it must be in my blood, but I just love a room lined with books!
We spent a lovely hour or so wandering around the grounds, admiring (or not) the sculptures which are currently dotted around, and also keeping an eye out for the two weddings which were on that day. Only saw one dress - bit too ruffly for my taste tho...
Mhairi and I also checked out the Model Soldiers gallery - couldn't help but think of Eryn as I looked at all the different displays! We ended the visit by tracking down the place where Elizabeth 1 was when she found out her sis had died and she was going to be Queen. There is now a commemorative oak planted on the spot (rather than the original one) and I was quite happy once we'd seen it. And there were some spectacularly old oaks dotted around as well - quite amazing.
And my tooth managed to stay in as well :-).
No comments:
Post a Comment