Friday, October 24, 2008

Hadrian - Empire and Conflict

I went to this exhibition tonight after work with a friend from work - "the other Megan" - although technically that should be "the other Meagen" as we have different spellings...

We'd been talking about going to this for a few weeks, both of us thinking it was on until the New Year, until we realised it finished on Sunday... so it was a Friday night outing for us. It did feel strange going to an exhibition on a Friday night and I have to admit at 5pm on Friday it was the last thing I felt like doing.

But it was great! Really interesting, and fascinating to see some of the statues etc they had. An enormous head of Hadrian at the start in particular - only unearthed in January 2007 - quite something to see photos of them finding it in the ground, and then to see it in front of you. Made me realise the appeal of archaeology!

He was an interesting character, and the exhibition was done very well - although it was mainly comprised of a lot of statues of him, it actually told the story of his life very well, and didn't feel dry or dull at all. But it was BUSY - even on a Friday night we were often 3 or 4 people deep trying to read about the exhibits. Still - it was worth it. So now I understand a bit more about Hadrian's Wall (which I went to many years ago with my friend Kathryn), and also the Pantheon. He got about did Hadrian!

And as according to Wikipedia Adrian comes from Hadrian there was even a family connection as well!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought it had something to do with the Adriatic, and meant 'Man of the sea' .. a slight preference to that whakapapa of nomenclature, as opposed to being a namesake of a very effective imperialist.. but both barely register on my emotional barometer. The head appearing image sound like the Moeraki Boulders..
Age