Friday, August 15, 2008

Psycho Buildings!

Great title huh? Also the name of the latest exhibition I went to see on Friday with Nicola. We started off with a glass of wine at the Concrete Bar - as it was 2 for 1 it would have been criminal not to really... Plus it was Friday evening and I think we were both in dire need of a glass - well I certainly was given the week I'd had!!

It was really interesting - and a lot of the exhibits you wondered how exactly they have managed to get that set up inside! Or outside even - particularly the boating lake on the roof of the exhibition. We didn't go into the row boats - the queue was huge, and despite the fact that it is the middle of August it was also quite cold outside! But we did go out and have a look, and thanks to Nicola's prompting I took a couple of snaps on my phone to give you an idea of what it looked like.

Another interesting piece was the Observatory, Air-Port-City, 2008 which is essentially a big orb with a top level. You can either stay and observe from the bottom, or go into a lucky dip to go on to the top level. We didn't bother with the lucky dip, but did quite enjoy lying around and watching people manage to navigate themselves around - especially the women who were wearing skirts... To enter it you had to go through an airlock door to maintain the pressure.

I really liked Fallen Star by Do Ho Suh (a scale model of his home from Korea crashing into an American house), and Place by Rachel Whiteread - a collection of dolls houses lit up. Both very cool. These pictures from the Guardian will also give you a good idea of the exhibition.

No comments: