I took today off work for a couple of reasons - it had been a while since I'd been to the wreath laying ceremony at the Cenotaph, I haven't had a holiday since I did the West Highland Way last year, and I thought it would be nice to go again for Mum & Dad.
We've been having real April weather here - some sun and lots of showers, but today was lovely in the morning. I got to Whitehall quite early so was in time to get a poppy (from the NZ RSA which I thought was a nice touch), as well as an order of service - I often seem to have missed those in the past. It was a lovely ceremony - very simple. The troops march in, wreaths are layed, the Last Post is played, a few prayers, the National Anthems and that is it. I really noticed this year that the number of men and women who would have been in WW2 is greatly reduced from when I first went years ago. There were not many people who looked like ex-service people this year. But the crowd wasn't a bad size - and the NZ anthem had a few people singing it so it wasn't just me there...
Afterwards I went and laid my flowers for Dad and Mum - they look a bit pathetic next to the wreaths, but I'm really pleased I did it. Some photos below, but more on my Flickr site as well.
"They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old; age shall not weary them nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them".
1 comment:
Yea funny eh.. i dont have a memory of doing the anzac thing with dad, but as I get older I keep thinking 'wow, what a trip that must have been' for the old fella. So I was down at the Titahi Bay RSA at 6 on friday morning too. nice flowers Meg
Post a Comment