Friday, November 18, 2005

And did I mention the worst travel day ever...?

Got to the station on Friday morning in plenty of time for my 8.08 train - had lots of work to do so was keen to get in relatively early. But it was not to be...
My heart sank when I saw on the information board that there had been a cable fire at Clapham Junction - its not called the busiest junction in the UK for nothing... And problems at Clapham mean problems for lots and lots of trains...
Normally when it is that bad I would have just taken the day as holiday but I had to get in to get my deadlines met so when the first train came along (after 20 minutes waiting on the platform) I squeezed on. And I mean squeezed on literally. I was right up against the door with a mass of bodies all around me. At least I could turn my head and see out of the door. Of course once the train started moving I realised that it had been a bad idea to squeeze on as I don't cope with those situations so well anymore. I had a few bad moments, but I just focused on my music and thought over and over again 'This journey will end. We will get to Waterloo. This journey will end'.
And it did end. Over an hour later. So I was stood on the train for an hour. In my little heels which hurt if I stand too long (I don't normally wear them if I think I'll be doing much walking...)
I finally got to work just before 10 - not bad for someone trying to get in early-ish!

No comments: