Sunday, January 09, 2011

Astonishing human endeavour

This has been a weekend of films relating to extraordinary human endeavour - both of which I'd greatly recommend.

First up was 127 Hours - despite knowing what happens, and so waiting the whole film for the 'act' to happen, it was still very very good. Showing Aron reaching the point where he has to do what he does is so well done - does make you wonder how much you would do to survive.

And on that theme I then went to see The Way Back today - I hadn't planned to spend my weekend watching two such full on movies, but today's was already in the diary, and 127 Hours was a spur of the moment thing.

There has been a bit of controversy surrounding The Way Back - was the book it was based on really true etc. This is an interesting piece on the whether it is true or not... However I really enjoyed it, although it did feel long - a bit like their walk :-). But again, showing what people can do and will do to survive. Fascinating film viewing.

No comments: