Sunday, July 12, 2009

What a walk it was in the Peak District

Cor - currently recovering from an epic day of walking yesterday in the Peak District. I was meant to be rollerblading today, but I had to pull out. I barely had the energy and inclination to walk to the supermarket and back!

I think it is fair to say that Craig and I learnt many lessons - I just wishing learning the lessons wasn't so exhausting!

  • Don't ever not stop for lunch because 'we'll be back in the village in an hour and we can get lunch then...'. That old chestnut 'famous last words' comes into play...
  • Don't step into peaty bogs - especially don't do it twice. Like quicksand (I imagine), it ain't that easy to get out of.
  • Don't assume that because a trail is marked on an OS map that it will look like a well defined path in real life.
  • Do use your common sense at times - you may have a whizzy gizmo gadget, but when you see people walking in the distance, and also a cairn, that is a pretty good clue that there will be a path over there...

Craig had suggested going up to the Peak District for a night a few weeks ago. Camp one night, walk on Friday and a big one on Saturday then back down to London on Sat night. He had a new GPS gizmo he wanted to test, and I’ve always wanted to go to the Peak District (try and meet my Mr Darcy!) so I was very keen. Turned out to be just us as everyone else was busy – they missed a real treat!

Read on for epic adventures in the Peak District... And lots more photos on Flickr as well!

1 comment:

Age said...

Wow Meg, looks like a great day out, love the photo set, but all it shows are the high points, no shots of yopu stuck in the mud. Moonscape and rocks are crazy.