I set off from work on Friday at midday to go and meet Craig at his work. The plan was we would get to Edale, put up our tents (I borrowed mine from Simon’s sister), and then go for a short walk before having dinner in the pub. Ah – the best laid plans…
It was all fine until we got past Junction 25 on the M1. At that point we realised we weren’t slow because of the road works but because there had been an accident between Junction 26 and 27. Too late for us…. About 1.5 hours later (but it felt like much longer), we got to the exit at 26 and headed off. Traffic was still pretty slow though, and a 4 hour trip turned into 7.5 hours. We got to the campsite just after 7pm… It was my first experience of being stuck in traffic like that – I’ve always been lucky and been driving past it in the other direction. Can’t say that I would recommend it.
We got the tents up fairly quickly at the Fieldhead campsite (Craig has used his, but aside from a short demo I hadn’t put mine up properly before) then we headed off to the pub for dinner. It was a two pub town – we ate at the The Nags Head which was fairly standard fare. It is also officially the start of the Pennine Way. We probably would have stayed there but a big group in the other room started singing… What was cute for a couple of songs just turned plain annoying after about 6 or 7 numbers. So we headed off to the Ramblers Inn for another pint and a whisky before bed. Also very underwhelmed with that pub as well - despite its name it was pretty mediocre.
No comments:
Post a Comment