Sunday, February 01, 2009

Slumdog, strolling, markets and snow...

Went to see Slumdog Millionaire during the week - I'm assuming it has been getting big press in the Southern hemisphere as well so won't bother linking to a site about it. I really enjoyed it - not really the 'feel good' movie it is being advertised as over here, but still great. I've listened to lots of interviews with the director and stars so it was good to finally get to see it. Definitely recommend it! I did hear that there has been some criticism in the NZ press about the fact that the kids are still in the slums, but the film crew are paying for them to go through school - they have also put money in trust for them as well as a bribe to get them to stay at school until they are 16. So don't let incorrect reporting put you off!

Saturday I met up with Gabby and Divya (with 6 month old Tarun) and we walked from Camden to Little Venice along the canal. It was a lovely afternoon, and Tarun is just gorgeous. Very smiley and big dark eyes. Getting pretty cold on the way back though...

Today I headed off to Greenwich Market to do some birthday present shopping - which as always when I go there was successful. It has yet to let me down... But man it was arctic!! I bought a hat for me as well (even though I had one I decided I needed a warmer one). Then I met up with Craig and Sarah and their kiddies and went back to their place for a much needed cup of peppermint tea. And now when I look out of my window there is already snow covering the ground. We have an extreme weather warning out at the mo - can't wait for my commute tomorrow morning...

No comments: