Saturday, July 24, 2010

How hard can it be to do a walk backwards...

Saturday morning I was up bright and early. Much earlier than my campmates! So by the time they'd emerged I was up, showered and dressed! We enjoyed our very civilised brekkie of croissants and coffee and took it very leisurely.

We wandered off into the village of Brockenhurst to have lunch and check out the cycle hire. Interestingly Brockenhurst has a NZ connection as wounded soldiers from WWI were hospitalised there. We couldn't get cycles as they were all booked out, so after booking some for Sunday we decided to go for a walk.

The route we had made more sense for us to do it backwards - how hard could it be we thought? As it turned out - quite hard! We got lost, I got stressed (I HATE getting lost when walking...), but Simon and Jackie fortunately remained very sanguine about it all, and Simon navigated us back to the path again! But it did turn a 7.5 mile walk into about 8 - so we had a wee collapse back at the tents.

After reviving cups of tea and some cake we wandered into Brockenhurst for a pub dinner at the Rose & Crown - which had a crazy food ordering system. I didn't love having to stand for about 1/4 of an hour while waiting to order my food... Two pints later and we were done - all feeling very weary after our walking and not much sleeping!

No comments: