Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Book musings

Wandered out at lunch-time and bought Casting Off - the 4th book in the Cazalet Chronicles by Elizabeth Jane Howard. I've been reading them for about a month or so now and am finally on the 3rd book. I've really enjoyed them - a very 'solid' sort of read, with so much detail about English life during the war, but really great characterisation as well. It was filmed in the UK a few years ago - I've wanted to read them ever since watching the series on tele.

As I was admiring my new book it made me think about how exciting it is to have a new book, which looks pristine, just drawing you into it - I love new books! But then I also love my books to look well read - something very comfortable and familiar about a well-read book :-).

I bought this one from Crockatt and Powell - a fab independent bookshop close to work. And I've just realised they also have a blog which you can check out here. I do try and buy from them, as there are so few independent bookshops left, but when you can get 3 for 2 from the big chains it does make it much harder. But I so admire what they are doing that everytime I go in I recommit to shopping there, but then forget when I go into a big Waterstones or Borders... but I am trying!

No comments: